Throughout college I was a Young Life leader at Jefferson City High School. I was a leader for just shy of five years. It was through Jeff City Young Life (JCYL) that I met some of my best friends and my husband. I have a lot of fond memories of my time hanging out with high school kids there. My last semester of college I student taught at the 9th grade center in Jeff City. I just got an email from one of my former (and first ever) students:
Hi Mrs. Meyer!
Can you believe it! I'm a senior! Insane! Our final club is on May 10, 2010. It would be great if you could go; however, I see the problem since you are in a way other country! haha :) In our little senior talk, I will probably say something about you and how you kept pestering me freshman year to go, but i kept ignoring you and then my sophomore year i finally went and thought everyone, besides you and travis, was in high school haha. Little did i know that me joining YL would forever change my life. It reconnected me to my faith and sparked my relationship with God and eventually opened many doors for me. Thank you for continuously pestering me that year to finally go at the start of my soph. year. :) I know we haven't talked in forever ever, but i think about you a lot! Hope to see you sometime!
PS--I'm doing work crew at Cast Away!! During June. :D
It's really amazing that God uses us to love on people. I never knew that asking this student to YL would make a difference, but four years later it apparently had an impact. This message was an encouraging reminder that we never know how God will use us, and that even after we move on from a place our fruit (good and/or bad) continues on.
2 comments:
that's awesome, bonnie! i'm sure your life has and will bear much fruit for the kingdom of God.
Guess who else is going to be at Castaway in June...me! I just realized I traded a spot with Travis for this girl to be there first session, forgetting I would be there too, and she's one of your old girls. Woah, I have to meet her! I'll just start doing JC cheers and see which WC kid responds :)
Post a Comment