Sunday, March 29, 2009

thanks mom and dad


We got a special package from my parents not too long ago. We opened it right before I left for Thailand so I didn't get a chance to get on blogger and throw out a BIG THANKS to my folks. This package had the usually "must haves" such as cornbread, pudding, pasta sides, gravy mix, biscuit mixes, medicine, etc. The package also had some very special Easter treats! Tom and I are participating in Lent. We have given up sweets for these 40 days leading up to Easter. Keep in mind, we were eating at least one ice cream treat every day before this.

I think Lent is a really cool thing because by giving something up it has made us anticipate Easter (Resurrection Sunday) in ways that we wouldn't have before. I'm excited that in two weeks I'll get to partake in the Reese Peanut butter cups and the peanut butter M&M's sitting in our fridge. But I'm also excited to grow in the discipline of fasting and sacrifice for the days leading up to Easter. It really can be a powerful thing.

No comments: