Saturday, September 27, 2008

my scariest moment since living in Korea

This post is in dedication to my great friend and hairdresser: Liz Wheeler.

Yesterday it was time...I had to get my hair cut. I've put this off as long as possible, but I just couldn't put it off any longer because my hair had become a shaggy mess. Some other ladies at school have gotten their hair cut recently, so I picked their brains, heard some horror stories, and ultimately found a place to go to that did a good job on my colleague's hair.

I show up at the salon. The hair dresser doesn't know any English. I don't know any Korean. So, we had some awkward exchanges accompanied with many hand jesters. Finally I take my seat in the chair. To my credit, I came prepared. I printed off a picture of how my hair looked after the last time Liz cut it so I wouldn't have to try to explain anything to the guy. He liked the picture, or so I surmised, but it wasn't until 5 minutes later that he realized it was me in the picture (that's how bad I needed a hair cut).


The haircut: I am terrified. Koreans are great in a lot ways, but hair style is not one of them...lots of ugly bangs. Instead of washing my hair before the cut, this guy had a spray bottle and he would just spray one area at a time and then cut it. Everything seems to be going okay until it was time to cut the bangs. He takes a whole bunch of hair from the front of my head and gives it one big chop. My heart is racing in this moment. The result was something like this:


The only thing I could think of is the 1990's hair style of the huge bangs (thank you Mom for never making me cut my hair like that). At this point I am freaking out. So I make some hand motions trying to describe that I want my bangs to sweep to the side. He solves this by making a few cuts and mostly by just combing my bangs over.


Now that the cut was finished it was time to wash my hair. This was pretty standard except when she gave me a head massage; it was the hardest my head has ever been pushed by human hands. They then styled my hair. Some things I noticed: they didn't sanitize their hairbrushes. The brush he used on me was covered in hair. They also aren't as careful with their scissors; my dude poked me right above the eye with the scissors. Lastly, he didn't really part my hair before he cut it, so now my hair has a funny part.

The whole thing took about an hour and was a little under 20 bucks. How do I feel about my new cut? Well, it got the job done. My bangs are pretty bad. I will become the master of bobby pins because I think I will be pinning them back quite a bit. The weird part in my hair throws me off. But it could be worse. Overall, I think I am okay with it. It's not as edgy and full of layers as I would like, but it's just hair so it will grow out and then I can come home and have Liz give me a cool new look.



This picture was taken after the cut. I already have my bangs pinned back. I'll try to post a better picture of the cut later. We just found this bear walking on the street.

No comments: