Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Saturday in Seoul

Since I was flying solo this past weekend I decided to head into Seoul and do a little exploring.  I went to  this place called Dongdaemun (Dong-day-moon).  It is known for being a clothing mecca of sorts.  I am not a big clothes shopper, especially in Korea, but I wanted to see what they had in the way of baby clothes.  It was actually kind of slim pickings but there was some stuff to choose from. While there I found a series of shops selling used books.  If you know anything about my past you know I spent a decent amount of time selling used books on Amazon and Ebay.  So I am always drawn to them for some reason, even if I know I won't buy anything.  These shops were especially cool though because they were so compact.  They were probably like 8 feet wide with and aisle about 2 feet wide down the middle.  Check out the pics:

Literally wall-to-wall books 
 There was a strip of about 8 to 10 of these shops right in a row.
 I actually bought a Korean/English Bible from one of the shops though it wasn't this one which I later noticed was a Christian bookstore.
There was a shop that sold restaurant style paraphernalia and for some reason I found myself very tempted to buy one of these.  
I spent some more time exploring other places but forgot to take pics.  I'll have to work on that in the future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi Tom, the Dongdaemun wholesale stores run mainly as a night market. They open at about 8 PM and run through the night until about 12 noon the next day. To get the best bargains on clothes, you need to go during these times. You have to buy 3 to 6 pieces of the same thing. But its really cheap! There is a great shoe market across the stream on the left. If you explore deeper in that section there are several restaurants selling fish. You can choose what you desire and they will prepare it for you- and at very reasonable prices too. Along the same side as you saw the second hand book stores are also a series of shops selling sporting goods (Especially after you cross the road and continue) quite cheap. We bought roller blades for W 30,000.