Saturday, January 23, 2010

Thank You Dave Ramsey

Today is a big day. Our chains have been cut. We have been set free. The man is no longer holding us down. We are debt free!!!!!!!

I know nothing about Dave Ramsey other than he wants you to be debt free.

The only debt we have had with us since we got married was some student loans. Because of the gracious provision of both of our parents the amount was not near as large as it could have been with both of us going to MU for 4 years. Bonnie has said for a while that she thinks we should just pay them off but I have been resistant because we have a savings account that earned a decent interest rate.

We had been told that the interest rate on our savings account probably outweighed the interest rate on our loans so we should just ride out the payment plan. We would stand to save more money that way. Well when the economy crashed so did our savings account interest rate; from 4.5% to 1.25%. However, our loan interest stayed the same. Not until recently did I take the time look up that interest rate, 3.5%.

As a result we decided it was in our best financial interest to rid ourselves of debt. The deed has been done. It feels good to be free.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why is this article titled 'Thank You Dave Ramsey", then you go on to say you've heard nothing about Dave Ramsey...??

Congratulations for being debt free! Maybe you need to be thanking your parents and parents-in-law for your good financial fortune.

Tom Meyer said...

I'm not sure that you caught the joke. I could care less about Ramsey. His big thing is being debt free. At least that's what his billboards say. That was the point of the title. To intro a post about being debt free.

And I did thank our parents. Look again.

Sara said...

Congrats! Chris and I can truly appreciate what freedom comes from being debt free. We'll probably throw a party once we've paid off med school.

What's with the cranky anonymous commenter?