Wednesday, January 20, 2010

MIZ-ZOU

Korea never ceases to amaze me. On the first day of school Bonnie had her student answer the question, "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" One of the students wrote, "At the University of Missouri Columbia." Of course this prompted some questioning on Bonnie's part. She found out that this girl's dad had attended MU to get his PhD in Political Science. Crazyness. He is now a professor of political science at Dankook University (DKU) here in Korea (about 30 minutes from school). Sorry but to keep thing anonymous I'm going to avoid using names.

When this girl's dad found out that there were 3 teachers at our school from MU (Bonnie, myself, and our counselor Steve Darby) he insisted that he take us out to dinner. Well, Tuesday night we finally pulled it together. We had the opportunity to meet up with him as well as 3 of his professor friends that also received degrees from MU.

It was a fantastic evening. We were really bummed that we forgot to bring our camera to take pictures with these men and chronicle the event. The company was great. These men LOVE MU. They all talked about MU football and basketball and how much they love Chase Daniel and Mike Anderson and MU football games. We chatted it up about the Berg, Flatbranch, Shakespeare's, and other great Columbia eateries. One of the men even said that he considers Columbia his second home.

The food was also amazing. There was soup, salad, oysters, pork, beef, shrimp, duck, fish, fruit... I could go on. I don't even want to venture a guess at how much the evening cost.

To top it all off our host presented us with gifts as a memento from our evening. He wanted to give us some things to remember him our time together.

For me a DKU golf set complete with Titleist balls, safety tee, and ball markers.
Bonnie and I each received Sports Gels and Mists. Not quite sure yet what that means.
We also both received a Dankook laser pointer. Finally, Bonnie received as silverware set. We are not sure what the small forks and spoons are for but we will figure it out.We felt so loved and blown away by the whole evening and it was all because the seven of us are Tigers. MIZ-ZOU!

2 comments:

Bld424 said...

This is so cool!!

I am teaching Korean college students right now at MU (actually, this is the break between classes!) and I get some really unusual gifts, too.

The oddest gift I got were these anti aging facial masks. I am only 27!!

GO Mizzou!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it's different in Korea (but maybe not?), but here in Germany, those small squarish spoons and little forks are typically for desserts. At the eis (ice cream) shops, they serve it with those spoons, and whenever we go out to eat anywhere and order dessert, we get little forks like that! A possibility! Either way, VERY cool!