Basketball practice started this week, and Tom and I are both assistant coaches! I am helping with the girls team and tom is the assistant for the boys team. Neither one of us have really coached before, so we're pretty excited for this opportunity.
Sports are not as big of a deal here in Korea at the high school level like they are in the US. In korea, a high school kid's life revolves around school. period. why would you go to basketball practice after school when you could could to a tutor???? (at least, that's the mindset)
Needless to say, the kids don't play at the same caliber as they do in the states.
The boys have never won a game in the history of the school. Now I will point out the school is only in its 3rd year and this year we only go up to 10th grade. So last year it was 7th-9th graders playing older high school kids. Tom is hoping that this year he can be a part of a win, because even one win would be huge!
As for the girls, they lack aggression and skills but I think they have a lot of potential. Last year they did quite well. They got 3rd place in the division and like the boys, the team only had 7th-9th graders in a high school league. There are high hopes for this new season and I'm excited to be a part of it!
No comments:
Post a Comment